[Fwd: [H-GEN] Support to change Humbug's constitution. (fwd)]

Benjamin Robert Carlyle benc at foxboro.com.au
Tue Nov 28 19:02:55 EST 2000

Brent Wesley wrote:

> It is all well in good to say at the time of joining up with HUMBUG that "Yes I will
> be an active member".  I my experience will the club, this usually does not stay that
> way. A general "excitement" about the club is usually displayed at the start but then
> dissipates. This is because HUMBUG is a club of interest.  Usually people come and
> join up to server a purpose.  Once that purpose is met, often the member stops coming
> on a regular basis. (obviously this is not always the case).
>
> >From personal experience this is not the Case with Lions clubs. What works in one
> club, often does not work in another as you have to examine what the trends of
> membership are.
>
> As much as creating classes of membership might sound good, I don't think that it
> would work.
>
> I actually support the suggestion of Willie's.  It has become to hard for us to make
> quorum and a change is necessary. But we have to look at the legality of it.

Brent,

Perhaps what you're looking for is an automatic
disqualification clause:

"If at any time an Active Financial Member fails both to
properly vote and to abstain from voting at three (3)
sequential SGMs, that member is considered not to have
conformed to the written commitment made to the Secretary of
the club.  At the discretion of the secretary of the club
active financial members that have not met their written
commitment may be downgraded to the Inactive Financial Member
status.  At the discretion of the Secretary, any Inactive
Financial Member downgraded according to this clause may be
denied Active Financial Member Status for a period of up to
two (2) years."