[H-GEN] Solaris Patches

Joel Michael joel at diggy.com.au
Tue Nov 28 00:06:10 EST 2000

Hi all,

I'm having a problem here with a set of patches for Solaris 7.  I'm
doing a clean install on an Ultra 5 of Solaris 7 Server, and after
installing the patch 106541-12 (kernel updates) and the prerequisite
patches (109104-04 and 107544-03), the machine fails to boot with the
following messages:

INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx

INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

ENTER RUN LEVEL (0-6, s or S):

and whenever I try to enter anything here, it gives me the same errors
and prompt.

I have checked the utmp/utmpx files before and after I applied these
patches, and they are fine.  I have also tried moving /var on to the
root partition instead of it's own partition with identical results.

Can anyone suggest anything here (short of not installing this patch)?

Regards
Joel Michael
Systems Administrator
http://www.diggy.com.au
Tel: +61 7 3367 3555     Fax: +61 7 3367 3544
mailto:joel at diggy.com.au

This e-mail contains information that represents the views and
opinions of the author and therefore does not necessarily reflect
those of Diggy Internet Sevices.
If you have received this email in error, please forward back to
sender and then delete and destroy from your computer.