[H-GEN] modem + ppp problems

Sarah Hollings sez at powerup.com.au
Thu May 18 09:00:27 EDT 2000

Thanks for the suggestions, which have got me somewhere, but there's
still problems!

Joel, I tried what you suggested and the link was up with the ip of
P-t-P pinging successfully.  However on the Kernel IP routing table, the
last line was eth0 and under the column "Gateway" it had <ip of P-t-P>
instead of the 0.0.0.0 shown in your example.

When I ran the command "route add default gw <ip of P-t-P>" hay presto,
I could ping ip's, the isp's dns was accessible again and away I went.

However.  After a period of time the pppd dropped out, and when I dialed
in again the same problem reoccurred with having to add the default
gateway.

There is no file called messages in /var/log, but there's a bunch of
other files full of obscure looking messages.

I think I am going to have to do a complete reinstall, with an updated
version that should be coming my way soon (Corel's just updated their
Linux to 2.2.14 kernel and supposedly introduced some improvements).

Then I'll try some other fixes I've seen around on the net (they
reccomend updating glibc and a few other things) before I wade into this
again.

Anyways, just to say, thanks for the help.

Sez