[H-GEN] X Server error message

Christopher & Lisa LeMoyne dragonthrone at iname.com
Fri Mar 31 13:14:21 EST 2000

Hello all,

Having a spot of trouble with setting up X on a friend's computer.

Machine : Pentium 166, Baby AT mb, 64MB SDRAM
Video card : WD/Paradise 90c31 chipset, 1MB VRAM, ISA
Monitor : Proview 765, 17", 30-70kHz horiz, 50-120kHz vert, 1280x1024 @
56-85Hz NI

Don't ask me why there's an ISA card in a Pentium, I just had a quiet chuckle.

First, I attempted to start X to test it straight away, and received the
following error message:

#execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)

#-X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 11
#giving up.
#xinit: Connection refused (errno111): unable to connect to X server.
#xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error.

I ran xf86config and entered the details of monitor and video card, but
when I tried to start X again, it failed, giving the above error message
again.

Previously, OpenLinux 2.x was installed and working fine (including X), but
my friend wanted RedHat, and I didn't copy down the XF86Config file before
installing over it (RedHat claimed it was wiping the previously installed
partition).

Any help, hints or suggestions appreciated.

Regards,
Christopher