[H-GEN] technical problems

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Tue Mar 14 07:36:38 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, you wrote:

> I have had this problem repeatedly with my computer, as some Humbuggers can
> testify when I get frustrated by the fact that it works perfectly fine at
> home, then take it to a humbug and the thing doesn't work. The computer
> would produce no beeps and there would be power to everything, but the
> monitor light would just flash and wouldn't actually receive any input.
> After many hours of taking all cards out and replacing them one at a time
> lead to the discovery that it was actually the daughterboard that the cpu
> was on wasn't seating correctly. This was also why a gentle bump would
> freeze the machine. Unfortunately there's nothing that I can do about it,
> it just helps knowing that it's the only thing that I have to pull out and
> reseat when it doesn't boot :)

Yes, some of the early daughter cards or Slot 1 adapters were a bit dicey. I
have had many problems with those made by PC Chips. the problem is often very
difficult to define or fix. $20 for one of the later gold plated pin boards
would be a much goodo investment.

In this case though it may not be the daughter board as some of the Celeron
366's did not have an adapter / S370 format ...the early oneshad a genuine slot
1 connection IIRC.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au