[H-GEN] xdm and multiple interfaces

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Tue Mar 14 06:21:57 EST 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Craig Eldershaw wrote:

ce> I'm having problems using the xdmc protocol with a machine with mutiple
ce> network interfaces.
ce>
ce> Happy and Sad are linked, so too are Happy2 and Sad2 (I can't see that
ce> it's relevant, but Happy and Sad are both ethernet interfaces, H2-S2 is
ce> ppp).  Happy and Sad are both the interfaces for the default route (not
ce> Happy2 and Sad2).

ce> What I want is for all the X stuff to go via the Happy2-Sad2 link, not
ce> the Happy-Sad link.
ce>
ce> This is slowly driving me mad.  Any suggestions (or reccomendations of
ce> psychaitrists) appreciated.

Theres nothing in the previous email that either one of careful
application of ipfw rulesets (direct any port 6000 stuff via the serial
link), or a visit to certain of London's youth Hostels (according to JJJ
today), cannot fix, albeit in a fashion consistent with using a gas axe
for cooking sausages.

If you wish to hack xdm source, consider a BIND-like config option for
which IP address to bind to.  The fact that traffic seems to end up via
the ethernet link suggests (to me at least) that the ethernet device is
the first one found, and thus, traffic is sent via the default binding.

--
  Bruce.                                                         | VP/BOFH
  Infinite Monkeys.  Infinite Keyboards.  I see no Shakespeare.  |  HUMBUG