Quake 3, OpenGL and DRI (was Re: [H-GEN] graphics memory and agp cards)

Joel Michael joel at diggy.com.au
Thu Mar 9 00:06:41 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: David Jericho <davidj at in4free.com.au>
To: <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] graphics memory and agp cards

> Which depends partly on your X server. If you're running a matrox and
do any
> textured work, I strongly recommend using the AGPgart kernel patch or
one of
> the latest 2.3 kernels to enable the AGP memory area.

of course.  it makes a hell of a difference :)
Q3A is barely playable without it... on 64mb of ram anyways.

i'm just hanging out for XFree 4.0/DRI, although i haven't played around
with any of the pre-releases yet... y'know, work and stuff.  it should
give OpenGL apps the kick in the nuts they need to achieve the
screamingly fast performance the hardware is capable of (and gets under
other operating systems unrelated to this list).  mid march should be
very interesting indeed...

what does everyone else think about the emergence of gaming under linux,
and specifically Q3A?  In my opinion, it is a bit too slow for the
mainstream at the moment (maybe it's the combination of hardware i
own?), although the above mentioned XFree 4.0 should (hopefully!) change
that.
---
Joel "I really am working! Honest!" Michael