[H-GEN] Dynamic IPs

Peter J Arnold pjarnold at uq.net.au
Sat Mar 4 21:01:21 EST 2000

Looking at this from a completely different perspective; Why don't you take a
look at dyndns. You can assign a dnsname to a dynamic ip such that every time
you dial in, the appropriate code is run in your ip-up script which assigns your
dynamic ip to your dns name. That way you can ping yourfavouritename.dyndns.org
and get the ip address everytime..... There are scripts for various platforms
and works fine for me on solaris 2.6, pppd and uq dial in

cheers
Peter Arnold

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know of any software that will allow posting of your dynamically
> assigned IP address somewhere (and somehow) so that a web page link can go
> to the page, regardless of its current IP address?
>
> I have a couple of files on my home box I'd like to have access to, but if
> my ppp dies during the day and auto-redials, I don't know the new IP
> address.  A link on a page somewhere that automatically gets redirected to
> the right IP address would be worth its weight in chocolate.
>
> Win32 or Linux software is OK, not necessarily in that order!
>
> Regards,
> Hilton Travis
>

> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.

Peter Arnold
| email pjarnold at uq.net.au  | To err is human |
| Brisbane, Qld, Australia  | To moo bovine.  |