[H-GEN] Dynamic IPs

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Sat Mar 4 20:10:09 EST 2000

Hilton Travis wrote:
> This would do the trick of having me be informed of the IP change, but then
> I'd have to manually update the web page in question anyway.  I'd really
> like a way to have the web page updated automatically, or have the web page
> point to a place that redirects to the correct IP address - saves the
> occasional time I forget to update the web page!  I do have a head like a
> sieve.

That's OK, but you didn't say how the page can be modified.  The perl
script can be easily modified to update a web page, but I'd need to know
HOW to update the page on the server first  :o)

A trivial example of modifying the perl script is to output the HTML to
a file (the upload to the server is still necessary).  This could be
done by adding the following to the end of the script:

open(HTML, ">ipaddress.html");
print HTML "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Address of my
machine</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>Click <A HREF=\"http://$1/\">here</A> to go
to my machine.</BODY><HTML>"
close(HTML);

Let me know how to access the server where you want this stored and I'll
finish the script for you (or someone else with better Perl than I).

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")