[H-GEN] Time loss on copy

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Wed Jun 14 01:18:10 EDT 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]

> Any ISA network card is a Bad Idea these days, and especially so for an
> NE2K workalike! Junk it for a decent 3Com PCI card (or somesuch) and
> things will improve.

It might be preferrable to get a nice PCI card but on 10 Mb link there is
little difference between PCI and ISA and, while it is possible to get  PCI
cards second hand, new  3COM PCI cards cost as much as some people's whole
computer setup. Good PCI cards are still not widely available in the second
hand market. I seem to get quite acceptable performance from ISA cards but I do
not use the NE2000 cards so I can not comment. The ISA Digital, 3Com and SMC
cards that are fairly common around seem to be OK. I have recently been using
some Intel Pro ISA cards and these have been good too! In my own boxes I tend
to use DEC Tulip PCI cards as they seem to be well recognised and have
always performed flawlessly for me. However I know a few people who have had
trouble with them. I recently set up a Windows box for a friend and used a 3COM
905 TX PCI card and it just would not work at all for some reason. When I
replaced it with a DEC Tulip it just was spot on! Network cards can be totally
unpredictable!!

--
Frank Brand
E-mail:- fbrand at uq.net.au