[H-GEN] Time loss on copy

Mike Andrew mikero at norfolk.nf
Tue Jun 13 02:45:58 EDT 2000

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Christopher Biggs wrote:
> Martin Pool <mbp at linuxcare.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> > Anyhow, is it RealTek or NE2000?  I think they are different cards.
> >
> My main Linux box is on a 100mb switch, and has an PCI RTL8139 10/100
> ethernet card (that's 8139, not 8129; I don't know how different they
> are).

the 8129 is a 100mb version of the 8029 / 8039 and uses the ne.o driver (isa) or
ne2k-pci (pci). Like all nexxx cards it requires the generic 8039.o module to
operate and should always be invoked by modprobe (rather than insmod).

the 100Mb 8139, although also a realtek animal is a different  and uses the
8139.o (linux kernel source) or rtl8139.o (/unix/sysv) on the supplied diskette.

the 8139 is only ever supplied as a pci card and consequently requires no
options in /etc/modules.conf to operate

 . --
http://linux.nf/stepbystep.htm +mirrors