[H-GEN] Move Mail from Outlook Express to Linux...

Christopher Preston c.preston at chemistry.uq.edu.au
Fri Jun 9 00:54:43 EDT 2000

Ben Carlyle wrote:

> On another possible point of interest, netscape mail appears to follow
> the usual unix convention even on non-unix platforms.  Netscape adds
> an index file for quick lookup, but the index is calculated directly
> from the text layout and is recalculated whenever it appears to
> disagree with the text layout.  If the darn thing didn't crash so often
> it might be an ideal windows mail client in a multi-platform
> environment.

I use linux netscape and find it sufficient for my needs. It is handy as
you can do a mail -f Inbox, and read
the mail spool with standard unix mail, but a word of warning. If you
use 'q' instead of 'x' to exit mail, then another header line is
inserted "Status: RO" or something, after which netscape gets very
confused as it's index is no longer pointing to the right starting point
of each message. Restarting netscape fixes things up, of course.

Cheers
Chris.

--
Christopher Preston
Chemistry Department, The University of Queensland