[H-GEN] Move Mail from Outlook Express to Linux...

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Thu Jun 8 04:18:40 EDT 2000

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Anthony Ison wrote:
> I've just been posed an interesting problem that I am at a loss to
> solve.  A friend has set up his PC as dual-boot Windows / RedHat.  He
> would like to leave Windows for dust, but doesn't want to lose his x
> thousand mailing list emails that are currently held by Outlook
> Express.

I don't know. Do you know if there is a standard way for other programs to
access Outlook Express's mailboxes? If so, maybe you could write a VB
script to convert it to either seperate files for each mail. You could
then munge these files into the format of choice.

Does anyone know if there is such a feature for Windows?

> Is there any way to migrate these emails from Outlook to Linux without
> having to individually save each email?  I am thinking that you could send
> them all back to a server, but I don't know if that's actually possible....

You certainly could do this, but then the person would have to download a
lot of email. This is, shall we say, less than optimum. In any event it
would be best to have a script to do this. (Or can you just highlight them
all and click 'forward'. (Scary.))

Cheers,

Raymond

---