[H-GEN] Programing

Andrae Muys a.muys at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Sun Jul 30 21:16:36 EDT 2000

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Paul Gearon wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>
> > I don't like C++ much, Java, Python and Smalltalk are interpreted and
> > therefore don't really count, and Pascal and Ada are horrible too.
>
> OK, Java doesn't create an executable binary, but saying that it is
> interpreted (and lumping it in with interpreted languages like Python) is
> completely false.

Ok, can we cut the language war in the bud?

Back to the original problem, seeing as you aleady have linux installed
you probably have python, C, perl, C++, elisp, asm, and possibly java
already installed.

As a starting point I would recommend going to http://www.python.org,
downloading the tutorial, reading it, and writing a few small programs.

I would suggest -

Hello World
Add two numbers.
Guess a number.
Write 500 random numbers to a file
Read 500 numbers from a file reverse them and write them to another file.
Read 500 numbers from a file sort them and write them to another file.
  (If your language has a sort function, don't use it for this one :)
Read all the numbers from a file (unlimited but assume will fit in
memory) sort them and write to another file.

If you can't do the last one without help, which depending on which
language you choose to start with may be likely, then we can help you.

Well we can help you anyway, but the "unlimited" bit of the last one could
possibly trip you up.  (I know it did me the first time I tried it :)

Andrae Muys

Andrae Muys <andrae at humbug.org.au> "Never ascribe to malice that which is
Shortech International Ltd          adequately explained by incompetence."
                                                     -Napoleon Bonaparte