[H-GEN] (Fwd) Help: How to anonymyse Squid Proxy Cache ?

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Mon Jul 24 00:41:06 EDT 2000

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Andrew Bennett wrote:

a.benn> I'm running Squid 2.4 Devel on a Redhat 6.23 box to provide
a.benn> proxying services.
a.benn>
a.benn> Whilst I want most of the HTTP headers to be available to the
a.benn> requested servers, I'd like to make one of them in particular
a.benn> (HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR) always come out the same,
a.benn> preferably the address of the proxy box itself.
a.benn>
a.benn> Unfortunately, having it as "unknown" is no good to me.

Use the source.  Squid's config file parsing is simple enough to add
another option, specifically the contents of the X_Forwarded_For header.

Note that the above header describes the IP from which the request comes
from to your proxy, and setting it to the proxy itself is not really a
good idea.  (If you've got your squid on the outside of a firewall, the
firewall IP would be a good choice).

--
  Bruce.                                                         | VP/BOFH
  Infinite Monkeys.  Infinite Keyboards.  I see no Shakespeare.  |  HUMBUG