[H-GEN] dotless ip notation

Robert Brockway robert at ralnet.net
Fri Jan 21 20:05:47 EST 2000

David Wood <dwood at PIsoftware.com> wrote:
: Macs used to store their IPs this way - in a hex notation representing
: the address as one striing, IIRC.  It is equivalent, but certainly less
: readable.

Alot of OSes will still take this notation too.  I think it used to be
alot more common than it is now :)  Dotted quad notation seems to have won
sometime in the early 90s iirc.  I seem to recall Free/Net/OpenBSD will
take these in ifconfig.  I've also been forced to enter the netmask in hex
under Solaris before :)
Rob

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au, robert at ralnet.net
                                robert.brockway at uq.net.au
			 WWW:   http://www.ralnet.net/~robert
Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it. -Unknown