[H-GEN] cable under linux

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Wed Jan 5 19:13:08 EST 2000

Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> aah, yes, now look closer.  _*ALL*_ traffic is charged with very few exceptions.
> you _will_ pay for all email you receive. if I mail you the Encyclopaedia
> Britannica three times I'll kill your quota in seconds

Receive onto their mail server, or pop down across the cable?  If the
latter, then you can always put size-limiting rules into fetchmail or
your mail client.

> you pay for anything you d/l from the news server _inside_ the cable network
> but not anything you post to it. (work that out)

Well, it's only a limit on download traffic, isn't it?  So of course
posts don't count.

> if any other ISP tried charging you for email and news they'd go under
> but Telstra's marketing dept seem to be taking courses at Microsoft ;)

uqnet has the same rule these days.  Since their costs depend on
utilization as well as the number of connections it's not completely
unreasonable.

> you also pay for traffic d/l'ed from other cable modem users. so kiss network
> gaming or file sharing good bye.

How much traffic can a game generate?  Probably a lot of packets, but
maybe not so much data.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Limited       | Teneriffe, Brisbane
 \///         | And now a word from our sponsor...

This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is
confidential information. If you have received this
transmission in error, please delete it and notify the
sender. The contents of this E-mail are the opinion of the
writer only and are not endorsed by Mincom Limited unless
expressly stated otherwise.