[H-GEN] how many modems

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Fri Jan 7 00:25:43 EST 2000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 staeci at yahoo.com wrote:

staeci> > Cheapo dumb multiport cards aren't very expensive.   Alternatively,
staeci> > buy a dedicated access server instead of a whole machine.

staeci> sorry for my ignorance but how much is not very expensive, my boss got prices on
staeci> cards at around $800 I think and that was too much.  We already have a machine
staeci> for the task.

Your machine should already have two serial ports.  A suitable jumperable
multi-I/O card (with another two serial ports that you can put on other
IRQs) should cost no more than $40.00 .

Try to make sure that it does use jumpers to set the IRQs.  Ones that
require a program to set its configuration have a habit of losing the only
copy of the disk with the program just before the card loses its
configuration.

Ensure that you explicitly label each port as to its address and
IRQ.  This avoids confusion at a later time ;)

--==--
Bruce.