[H-GEN] how many modems

Daniel Quinlan daniel at netwise.net.au
Thu Jan 6 22:54:03 EST 2000

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 01:36:35PM +1000, staeci at yahoo.com wrote:
> ok, boss wants a machine with four modems for users to
> dial in to but doesn't want to spend bucks on multi-
> serial port card.  So is it possible to have two modems
> on a com port each and two internal (probably isa) modems
> and what complications do I have in doing this.

shouldn't be a problem. you don't necessarily have to use internal modems tho
a dual port serial card will do the trick.
banksia sell one that is configurable via jumpers to use all available irq's
(ie it's a 16bit card so it can use IRQ 9-15)

our box here has one in it now. be aware you will need to use separate irq's
for com3 and com4, which can be a prob if the box has built in scsi or sound

the benefit of this card is the jumpers, no plug and pray

our current setup is

	base	irq
com1	3f8	4
com2	2f8	3
com3	3e8	5
com4	2e8	11

cya,
Daniel Quinlan				daniel at netwise.net.au
Netwise Australia			ph: 0417 677 377
"Engineering Network Solutions"		fax: 07 3216 0226