[H-GEN] Squid cache selection

David Jericho davidj at in4free.com.au
Thu Feb 24 05:20:24 EST 2000

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 05:10:00PM +1000, Michael Anthon wrote:
> I then disconnected the link to provider1 to see if it would then get pages
> from provider2, and it didn't.  All I got was a page from squid with
> something like "(101) network unreachable", which was perfectly correct, but
> not what I had expected.  I had expected squid to then attempt the proxy
> from provider2.

What may have happened is that it tried to use proxy2 at some stage, then
failed because of a access denied message. There is a timeout value associated
with the wait till it is retried.

What would be better to do, is restart squid each time with a different config
from your ip-up script for your pppd. The different configs, having the same
everything except cache_peer parent.

Alternately you could just reissue a squid -k reconfigure after replacing the
config file with the correct one for that provider.

Either solution would figure out when the netlink was dead and serve objects
from cache as needed.

As an aside, I'm assuing you're using the never_direct directive in the
squid.conf, to make sure it does indeed go throught he parent proxy and not go
it alone?

--
David Jericho, Senior Systems Adminstrator
Webmatch Interactive Marketing