[H-GEN] Support to change Humbug's constitution.

Andrae Muys amuys at shortech.com.au
Wed Dec 6 18:46:37 EST 2000

Rob Unsworth wrote:

> You don't vote to accept minutes, why are you bothering about a quorum ?.
>
> Are you serious ?.

Yes we are serious.  Acceptance of minutes has never been an issue as
the minutes are always posted to the announce mailing list shortly after
the meeting has been concluded.  As a result any dispute regarding the
accuracy of the minutes would be held on the general mailing list as a
reply to the posting.  Personally I consider this to be surperior to a
vote 12 months later long after everyone has forgotten what actually
happened.  I personally have never seen an acceptance motion be anything
other then a formality, EVEN WHEN THEY WERE INCORRECT.  If there was a
problem with the minutes I would fully expect it to be raised in general
business, which has always been included on the agenda of any AGM/SGM
Humbug has ever held.

> Consider the rumblings about increase of members (BRISBUG) suggestions
> of promoting Linux etc, if you don't have a clear set of rules and prooper
> procedures in place, then it wont be growth and expansion it will be
> growth and explosion.

Personally the underlying principle behind Humbug's constitution, and
it's meetings is to keep meetings and procedures only as complicated as
is required to solve todays problems and to be flexible enough to modify
them as required to meet tomorrows problems.

I really appreciate your input in this issue, but please be aware that
the club is not about to "explode" just because we want to change how
our quorum is calculated.  And if the club grows to a size that greater
ceremony and formal procudure is required we have changed our procudures
before, and we are more then willing to change them again when a need
arises.

Andrae Muys