[H-GEN] databases for linux

Andrae Muys amuys at shortech.com.au
Wed Dec 6 01:01:28 EST 2000

Johann Kwiatkowski wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Thanks Joel,
>                 that will help me a lot, I have read a little about each and
> I was thinking of trying one of them, but didn't know which one. As for
> programing, I knew that I'd have to bite the bullet and learn something
> evevntually, but I get too busy, so I thought I'd work out what I wanted,
> work out how to do it and then learn what I needed to. Even though I'm a
> graphics artist now, I have a physics background so the thought of learning
> how to program doesn't bother me too much.  As for a database, even now I
> have a lot of images which will only grow, so one of the things that
> concerned me is if I start using say PostgreSQL now, and eventually outgrow
> it, can I migrate or do I have to start over again? From what I have read if
> I follow the SQL standard then I should not have too many problems. Although
> I'd actually be surprised if this did happen. The number of transactions we'd
> do  would never get to be more that a few an hour, but the image list grows
> daily and this will end up quite big.  Anyway thats gets me started at least

Hey Johann,
  Go have a look at the postgres web site.  I found their SQL tutorial
useful when I had to do some db stuff.  as far as migration is
concerned, it dosn't matter which DB you use, it's going to be a royal
pain in the arse so don't worry too much about it.  If it really is
likely to be a problem, I suspect (can someone confirm this) that
postgres will scale further then MySQL.  As far as using the database is
concerned, learning PHP is probably the easiest option for now.  Check
out their website too :).

Andrae Muys