[H-GEN] Modem under Mandrake 7.1

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sat Dec 2 02:53:06 EST 2000

David Underwood wrote:

Your system is not that dissimilar to mine. Not sure about the zip
drive...is it on the IDE channels or on a SCSI

> My system is
>
> A Open AX63 Pro M/B ATX-AGP 133 FSB, PIII 667EB (coppermine), 128 MB SDRAM,
> ASUS v3800 Riva TNT2 AGP X2, Creative SoundBlaster Live (PCI), Zoomtel i2829
> voice/video/fax modem 56k V90 (PnP isa), NEC 40X CDROM, IBM ULTRA ATA HD 20
> GB (Master), Western Digital ultra ATA HD (slave), Iomega internal ZIP 100,
> Generic KB PS/2, Generic mouse PS/2, Epson Stylus 670. Probably don't need
> to worry about the printer.
>
> These are the only devices connected to , installed on the system.
>
> I should mention though and I'm not sure if this is significant but when
> installing Win I had to force it to ignore the modem until all the other
> devices had been installed and configured. Ie by clicking cancel when it
> indicated that it had found the modem, otherwise the sound card would not
> function. AHA I hear you say.

Yes, I would think it was significant in that the configuration of the
modem is not being accomplished that well in Windows. And for ISA
devices Linux is usually not as good at this stuff as Windows.

> By the way in checking the resources allocated to the com ports com1 = IRQ
> 4, com2 = IRQ 3, com3(modem) = IRQ 5, all allocated by win with no
> intervention other than I mentioned above.

COMM 3 is usually IRQ 4. Possibly the modem is set to IRQ 5 and PnP is
having trouble getting it to something else.I suspect the setup is a bit
of a problem here and the PnP stuff might not be working well in Linux??

The ISA modem should be a full modem not a winmodem so it should work
with the standard drivers. I find it just a hell of a lot easier to use
an external modem connected to one of the COMM ports. That way you dont
get all the possible conflicts and the arbitrary settings of IRQ's and
memory addresses that PnP gives you.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail:- fbrand at uq.net.au