[H-GEN] weird error with telstra cable

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Mon Aug 21 21:08:57 EDT 2000

Kristy Ferrari <ferbot7-kristy at powerup.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> if  _anyone_ has any ideas, I'd be very very thankful. I recently had
> telstra cable installed and it's working fine under windows, however I get
> an error when trying to connect under debian.  Basically my computer cannot
> find the authentication server unless I have a ppp connection. Once I'm
> authed, the cable link works fine, however until it's made my computer
> cannot find the authentication server.
>
> the /etc/resolv.conf file has a domain of qld.bigpond.net.au, which is also
> in the search path, however neither of these work.

Check the dns settings under windows, make sure you have the same
domain name and server IP.

The "bpalogin" program is trying to resolve the name "dce-server" which must
resolve to your *local* login server.

--cjb

--
Christopher Biggs -- chris at stallion.oz.au -- Stallion Technologies Australia.
There's a bug in my mailer that mangles my sig but V guvax V'ir svkrq vg abj.