[H-GEN] Permanent connection, static ip

Doug South dsouth at trontos.com
Sun Aug 20 01:00:34 EDT 2000

I'd really like to set up a machine at home with a perm connection and a
static ip. Part of the reason for this is so that I can just ran any
service off the address I please. Does anyone have any experience with
this in Brisbane? What are the options/costs?

With the coming of cable and adsl, I would have thought they might make
a good option, but it appears that the addresses are dynamic. And when I
explained to them if I wanted to run a mail server, web server, ftp
server or any other server, they referred me to the web hosting section.
But I don't want them (being telstra, can't get optus here 8() to host
for me, I'd want it on my machine.

I know telstra does/did perm connections over modem, but that's not
quite the bandwidth I would be hoping for.

Regards,
Doug South