[H-GEN] pcmcia ftp install

Stephen Thorne sjthorne at ozemail.com.au
Thu Aug 3 08:01:35 EDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 04:06:38PM +0800, Grant, Luke wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> Hi guys,
>
> am trying to do a pcmcia network install of linux redhat onto a guys lappy
> at work.
>
> I insert the bootnet.img disk and run through till it tells me to insert the
> pcmcia.img disk which i do and then get the list of valid network cards for
> the install......now i have a couple of different Xircom cards and an old EA
> pcmcia card but none of these seem to be in the list of cards available.
> In fact, the list looks a lot like standard nic names,  3com509 etc.
>
> I have never installed over pcmcia cards b4....can anyone point me to a good
> howto or an updated image file with more cards included.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Luke

I did this. Its really not all that hard. (Under debian of course)

PCMCIA is really plug and pray, you simply have to setup what type of
controller you have (its usually the intel one), and cardmgr takes care
of the rest. It has an internal database of cards and it detects a card
being inserted into the machine. It decides what the card is by reading
information off it, and inserts the appropriate kernel module.

On bootup or insert you should hear two beeps. If they're the same
pitch, then dance in the streets, if they're not the same pitch, then
check the logs (/var/log/syslog will do, I'm not sure if /var/log/syslog
exists).

Fortuanately, to my knowledge, pcmcia winmodems don't exist, if they
do, then 3com don't make them... If you've got an internal modem,
then its a good chance it'll be a winmodem tho...

I've seen this done on a laptop under the other distriubtion that
you seem to be using, but there was less oportunity to fiddle and
debug.

Don't get me started on my fiddling, I ended up talking to the
guy who did 95% of PCI in 2.2. because the 2.2 kernel (slink
uses this) thought I had 256 Primary PCI buses.

Steve.