[H-GEN] linux box just went dead

yh tan yh at techie.com
Wed Apr 26 00:29:17 EDT 2000

i've encountered this strange "phenomenon" recently on my 2-way linux (with
redhat distri) box. 2-way, coz it's a gateway connect 2 networks, with some
ipchains rules running. i usually left the box running overnite. seldom
reboot unless i made changes to the sys conf that req'd rebooting.

the strange thing was that the linux system just crashed for unknown reason
to me. it's just posted a screen dump of this messages:
CPU:0
EIP:0010:[<c358fc20>]
EFLAGS: 00010a86
eax: 00000240   ebx: 00000240   ecx: 00000000  edx: b8660cf8
esi: 000005a6   edi: c20d8db8   ebp: c20d8812  esp: c0217d28
ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
Process swapper ...blah blah blah
stack: ...blah blah blah...
Call trace: [<c014b2f9>] .... blah blah blah

This occurred to me a few times, i could do anything besides resetting the
system. everytime, the string of nos. are different. except for the first
few set of "Call trace" nos. which have some similarity pattern in the few
occasions.

i tried ping (from another system) to see if there's response, nope, it just
went dead. Have anyone encountered this before? Please enlighten me if u've
encountered anything like that. If u've some ideas or tots to help me
rectify this strange phenomenon, pls pitch feel free to pitch in.

Cheers,
yh

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com