[H-GEN] Mandrake7.0 v FreeBSD4.0

q9405096 at brampton.cqu.edu.au q9405096 at brampton.cqu.edu.au
Fri Apr 21 22:54:36 EDT 2000

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 10:21:03AM +1000, Frank Brand wrote:
> Netscape is OK I think. VMWare I dont know.

FreeBSD is there with Linux on the vmware page.  I think it's listed as
unsupported, though.  (Don't quote me on that.)

With regards to rpm and packaging, FreeBSD uses a different system for
distribution of packages.  This means you can't just plonk an rpm into a
FreeBSD system (or you can, but it's not "the best" way to do it).  An
easier way would be to use the FreeBSD ports collection, which is akin
to Debian's APT archives.

Basically with the ports collection, you can ask FreeBSD to install a
program, and it will download the source, compile and install.  Very
neat indeed. =]

Regarding KDE: Hrm.  Why limit yourself to KDE?  Take a look at the
other window managers and desktop environments.  (If you've done this
already, I apologise.)
--
damian, trying not to look scatter-brained.