[H-GEN] -post lists

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Sun Apr 16 23:17:18 EDT 2000

Bruce Campbell <bc at humbug.org.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> So, is it (the current configuration, the explanations of the
> configuration, the handholding required when people complaing that they
> cannot post because of misinterpreting the configuration) worth the
> hassle?  I'd like to think so[3].  If you have a better solution which
> does not open the lists up to random spamming, please speak up.

Given that I'm on some lists that *are* open to any spamming luser, I
think the current closed state is good.

The only alternative I could think of would be a self-moderation
scheme (first post from a new address requires confirmation), as used
by some newsfroups (eg. comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi).  Given
that spam rarely has a valid return address, such a system would weed
out the crap.  OTOH, it would generate the hassle of bounced
confirmation mail, which would I suspect sway most BlistOFHs away from
this course.

On the gripping hand, how often does your average list get spammed
anyhow?  The lists I hang out on?  Quarterly at worst.

cjb.

--
Christopher Biggs -- chris at stallion.oz.au -- Stallion Technologies Australia.
There's a bug in my mailer that mangles my sig but V guvax V'ir svkrq vg abj.