[H-GEN] Email Servers?

Luke Grant luke.g at uq.net.au
Mon Apr 10 01:55:57 EDT 2000

Joel,

I would suggest Sendmail with the passwd file using aliases and
virtusertable. There are some very useable howto's on sendmail.org about
how to do this.

I have used this setup in seval high volume corporate environments over
the last year or so with full success.

Luke Grant

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Joel Michael wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> hi all,
> I'm currently in a position to implement a new email server.  Any
> suggestions as to what can achieve the following would be greatly
> appreciated:
>
> * must run on linux/i386 or (preferably not) Solaris 7/Sparc
> * must handle "virtual" domains (eg, the server is named
> foo.diggy.com.au, it must handle mail to person at bar.com.au)
> * must handle forwarding, aliasing and pop'ing/imap'ing for all virtual
> domains
> * must scale well (470 domains with _at least_ 2 accounts in each)
>
> what I was thinking was to use sendmail 8.10, a pam-enabled pop3 daemon,
> and pam_ldap.  create accounts in the LDAP for each user that mail is
> delivered to in the form of user.domain, and have sendmail look up the
> LDAP for the user's virtual address -> username mapping.
>
> failing that, I would have users in a similar manner as above using the
> system password file (shell being /bin/true, of course :), but use a
> sendmail virtualusers file to map address -> username.
>
> in an ideal world without such things as costs of hardware and software
> I would get the current Netscape messaging server, which does EXACTLY
> what I want.  of course, this is the absolute last resort...
>
> any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> tia.
> ---
> Joel Michael
> System Administrator
>
> Diggy Internet Services
> 90 Petrie Terrace
> Brisbane Qld 4000
> Australia
>
> Ph: +61 7 3367 3555
> Fax: +61 7 3367 3544
> Mob: 0401 039 462
>

> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.

Luke Grant
mob#: 0413 317 952
mail: Luke.G at uq.net.au