[H-GEN] no /opt?

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Thu Apr 6 22:51:55 EDT 2000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Anthony Towns wrote:

aj> On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 12:27:01PM +1000, Raymond Smith wrote:
aj> > Does Debian usually have a '/opt'?[1] In the Linux world, where would I
aj> > normally install an unpackaged binary distribution of an application?
aj>
aj> Either mkdir /opt, or stick it in /usr/local, whichever feels more
aj> appropriate. Debian won't touch anything under either of those
aj> directories, more or less, which is probably what you want.

Or symlink /opt to /usr/local .  Remember /var/opt and /etc/opt for
completeness.

( And yes, I *like* the SYSV filesystem layout.  There is a logical place
  for everything )

--
  Bruce.                                                         | VP/BOFH
  Infinite Monkeys.  Infinite Keyboards.  I see no Shakespeare.  |  HUMBUG