[H-GEN] 2 bootable partition in HDA

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Thu Apr 6 10:01:24 EDT 2000

yh tan wrote:

> is it possible to create 2 bootable partitions in the same harddisk? purpose
> is to hold multiple kernel versions. :)

Not to the best of my knowledge. It is the job of the bootloader to allow
multiple versions, try man lilo. Infact you can have as many OSes or versions of
an OS as you can fit on the space oof the HD, to have multiple linux kernel
versions you don't need separate partitions or installs even - just the extra
kernels sitting around.
for example I have this in my /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdb1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/System.map-2.2.14
vga=normal
delay=20

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-new
        label=old
        read-only

This gives me two kernels that I can boot from (I find it useful to have an
older working kernel around as a backup incase some thing goes wrong with a new
one) but it is just as easy to have 13, 14 or 15 kernels and even a couple of
different operating systems booted from the one bootloader.

Nikolai