[H-GEN] Kernel compile

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Wed Sep 29 03:40:02 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

"Marshall, Joshua" wrote:

> I'm having some problems booting a custom kernel (2.2.12) on my RH6.0 box.
> It uses a SCSI disk (AIC7xxx driver) and as it boots it gives the following
> error:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

This looks as though the / partition cannot be found, i.e.
it is on the SCSI drive and the SCSI module isn't loaded.

> I've ticked everything to be installed (most as modules) in the scsi area of
> menuconfig.
>
> The /proc/modules has the contents (with 2.2.5 kernel)
> smbfs                  26232   8 (autoclean)
> slip                    7668   2 (autoclean)
> msbusmouse              1624   1 (autoclean)
> ppp                    18316   2 (autoclean)
> slhc                    4328   2 (autoclean) [slip ppp]
> tulip                  25252   1 (autoclean)
> vfat                   11516   0 (autoclean) (unused)
> fat                    25664   0 (autoclean) [vfat]
> aic7xxx               106928   4

why is the SCSI controller a module? if you are using the SCSI disks
as part of your main system ( / /usr /var ....) then you are probably
better with the support compiled in rather than as a module, especially
if you are using SCSI for the / partition because the kernel and module
loader can't find the modules without it mounted.

Hope it was of some help.

Nikolai