[H-GEN] weird X hassles

Robert Brockway robert at blake.humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 20 11:01:28 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Paul Gearon <gearon at computer.org> wrote:
: [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
: Unix-related topics. ]

: I CANNOT get xdm or an equivalent to work.  Well, the welcome screen
: works, but it can't start a window manager.  I had been using gdm
: (default under RH6) but it's as dead as xdm (so's kdm).  I've checked
: the config files in /etc/X11/gdm and it's all fine.  The /etc/X11/xdm
: files also look good (though I haven't gone through them quite as
: thoroughly as I have with gdm - they're more complex). xdm and gdm both
: give up trying to start a window manager and give me twm.  kdm just
: gives up and asks me to log in again.  I know the window managers are fine
: since startx works (I'm using it now).

Look at ~/.xsession.  I know this should not have changed, but check that
it is executable, and that ~ is readable.

Now, look in ~/.xsession.  Look to see that the path to your favourite
window manager (listed last in .xsession _without_ a trailing &) is
correct.  A full path is recomended here.

: It's driving me nuts to the point that I've run strace to see what gdm
: actually does (gdm is supposedly simpler and smaller than xdm).  I've
: found lots of interesting details about optional configuration files
: which aren't mentioned in the docs, but very little else.  I'm offering
: a case of beer [0] to whoever gets the answer first [1] :-)

: [0] or a bottle of one's favourite beverage

Mmmm....Iced Coffee :)

: [1] getting the idea of my desperation here?

Actually, this has turned it into a race which should facilitate answers
:)

Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au
                                robert.brockway at uq.net.au
			 WWW:   http://www.oc.humbug.org.au/~robert
Computers: Can't live with them, can't play Crossfire without them.