[H-GEN] okie just what I sort of need to know

Allen Grace a.grace at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Sat Sep 11 08:55:21 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

>1. what does this mean

It means that the permissions on the executable are set wrongly.

>2. how can I correct it

as root, chmod +s /sbin/pppd

>3. what is SUID I assume it stands for SuperUser ID

Look at the permissions after you do the above. The s denotes that when
run by users other than root, the process is allowed to assume a UID of
0, i.e root, and do privileged things.

allen
--
PD: pardon of my horror syntax english. you must be patient with me.