[H-GEN] Problems with masq'ing sendmail

Marshall, Joshua MarshallJ at switch.aust.com
Wed Sep 1 01:00:26 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> why not bung sendmail on the firewall and just get sendmail
> to relay the
> mail out??  as long as you secure sendmail right, this should
> be no less
> secure than what alread exists.

The firewall PC is a router-on-a-floppy and runs in RAM.  We simply don't
have the storage space for the emails to sit.  I could put a hard drive in
the machine, but then what would be the point of it being a dedicated
firewall on a floppy machine?

Surely masquerading should work properly.  I'm currently checking I've got
all the right modules loaded - at the moment only ip masq for ftp.  Do I
need to have ip_aliasing or rarp or ipip (?) for masq to work properly?

I just checked some more - the remote end is thinking that the connection is
up, the local end thinks the connection is up, the firewall says the masq is
going through...