[H-GEN] Installing Debian 2.1 on a system with 4 meg of mem.

Patrick Nichols pat at humbug.org.au
Sun Oct 31 08:10:18 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

I am trying to install Debian on a laptop with only 4 Megs of memory.  I am
having problems trying to follow the install procedure as outlined in
"install.txt" which comes with debian 2.1 (slink).

I can boot the lowmem bootdisk, and finish all steps assosciated with this
disk, but then I seem to miss something with the magical, "reboot, and the
installation will continue".

The boot will then fail, because the disk in the drive is the bootdisk which
uses 5M or more mem, so I tried to load the "temporary root partition"
created by the lowmem boot disk. (boot: rescue root=/dev/hda2), the bootup
continues, but hangs on the initialisation of the swap partition.

I feel that something has been left out of the documentation about here, and
was wondering if anybody had tried this before, and would be able to give me
a pointer or three.

-pat