[H-GEN] NIS client stuff

slide at tellurian.com.au slide at tellurian.com.au
Wed Oct 27 03:12:12 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> I'm trying to implement NIS and i'm having some troubles.  I'm trying to
> get the client to map a different shell/home directory to that of the
> server.  As far as I understand... I should be able to put the following
> into the /etc/passwd file of the client
> +:*:::::/bin/bash
> +:*::::/home/somewher/else:
> or similar, although, this doesn't seem to work

If your home directories are shared by NFS, you can use
automount(1m) under Solaris with configuration files
similar to this:

/etc/auto_master:
# Master map for automounter
#
+auto_master
/home           auto_home

/etc/auto_home:
user1	machine1:/export/home/admin/user1
user2	machine1:/export/home/users/user2
user3	machine2:/export/home/admin/user3

and change auto_home on a per machine basis to say where to mount
home directories from for that machine.

This may even work:

/etc/auto_master:
# Master map for automounter
#
+auto_master
/home   machine1:/export/home

so that all home directories are mounted even when then owners
of the directories are not logged in.

I don't know if you are using Solaris, so do not know how applicable
automount is to your situation.  Is it available under other
operating systems?

I am not experienced with NIS, so cannot comment on the correctness
of putting alternate home directory locations in the NIS passwd file.

Sean