[H-GEN] source control software

James C. McPherson jcm at proteome.org.au
Mon Oct 25 20:20:11 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Clinton Roy writes:
 > [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
 > Unix-related topics. ]
 > this a plea for help with an assignment :}

haven't seen this sorta post for a while ;)

 > i have decided to do a management assignment of mine on the effects of
 > different source control software on developer habits.
 > i'd like to have a look at as many different pieces of software as
 > possible, currently i plan to have a look at sccs (cssc), rcs, cvs and
 > aegis, any other favourites out there? i'd prefer to stick to free
 > stuff, as it's the only type of software that hangs around long enough
 > and actually makes a difference to a large number of people.
 > any references to anything that people think might of use are
 > appreciated :)

I'm making use of sccs and rcs in my environment (sun solaris 2.6,7, java2, c,
oracle 8i). I've become rather addicted to the integration between Sun's
"Workshop" interface and {X}Emacs, and of course you know that {X}Emacs has
modes for version control supplied as standard.

I got the generic sccs thing drilled into my skull in 1991 while doing CS at
the ANU, and use rcs for pretty much everything except those things which have
already been setup here to use sccs (ain't broke, don't "fix" it etc). It's
really interesting to see code from people who don't use {source
code|revision} control systems - in my experience they tend to be much messier
in their designs and implementations.

Another thing I've noticed is that people who come to unix development from
the PC wintel model (maybe Macs too, not sure) tend to not know how a revision
control system can be of serious benefit to their projects. This makes for
some interesting learning curve tweaks.

I suppose the real benefits of revision control systems come when they

  1. are flexible and powerful in their own right,
  2. can be tightly integrated into your development environment, and
  3. are enforced as necessary parts of design and development from
     start to finish.

Any other comments you'd like ?

Good luck with the assignment.

cheers,
James C. McPherson
--
Chief Information Officer	Phone: +61.2.9850.6364
APAF, Building F7B level 4	  Fax: +61.2.9850.6200