[H-GEN] source control software

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Fri Oct 22 00:19:26 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Martin Pool wrote:
> > We'd be dead in the water without good revision control
>
> Us too.  Before I arrived we used a shared RCS directory, which I
> imagine/hear was pretty unpleasant.

At CiTR we used RCS and CVS on medium-sized projects. I guess we would
have had 50-100Mb of source. I think RCS and a shared development area is
fine if you have a project you can neatly divide into directories.

In many ways I miss exclusive locks. Especially when a large percentage of
the team are newbies who do not ask before changing stuff outside of their
area.

But, in the end, it comes down to your work practices. CVS leads to
a "micro-branch" and merge, while RCS serialises changes so you merge as
you go.

Where CVS came into its own at CiTR was in allowing developers to easily
work on different machines without having to NFS mount the same
filesystem. This made development spread accross sites much easier.

Cheers,

Raymond

---
raymond at humbug.org.au              The early bird catches the worm,