[H-GEN] source control software

Michael Anthon mca at tams.com.au
Thu Oct 21 20:58:25 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

I know you asked for free (I assume you mean free source, not free in $) but
I thought I'd give some comment about the Dark Side.  I am currently
developing stuff using MS Access and we have 3 developers working on the
same project.  Our only viable for revision control is Visual Source Safe
(from guess who!).  This adds some extra stuff into access so that queries,
forms, reports, macros and modules can be exported to text files and saved
is VSS.  The tables and various other setups and stuff are exported to a
binary file which is also saved in VSS.  This is all handled automatically
by the additions to Access and works reasonably well [1]

As a result of my experience with this system (VSS that is, not the
Access/VSS combo) I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER recommend that anyone
use it.  I have had several instances in the last year or so where the VSS
databases have become corrupted and I have had to restore from backups.
It's unstable, flaky etc. etc. and there is an error in one of the files
somewhere that the integrity check/repair tool has never been able to fix
(it is still in there to this day but seems to have no ill effects)

Cheers
Michael Anthon

[1] It of course makes access run even slower then it normally does and
occasionally seems to take out Access and the working database in a big way,
requiring a full rebuild of the database from the VSS store.