[H-GEN] telnet line mode

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Thu Oct 21 03:37:33 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Robert Brockway wrote:
> Put the command in ~/.telnetrc for line mode fun all the time.

Cool, worth remembering.

> I'm posting this now as I am so happy that it has worked this well.
> I really should have tried it along time ago.
>
> Oh, and before ppl mention ssh, don't :)  I am aware of its many
> advantages :) One day :)

Oh, and before people forget to mention emacs :-), running ssh (or
telnet, or rsh, or anything) under emacs shell-mode will get you
line-at-a-time editing, command history, a long searchable scrollback
buffer, vision-impaired-accessibility and a kitchen sink.

There's also a "telnet" command, which (I think) sets that all up for
you; and an scp.el library which allows you to transparently and
securely edit remote files and directories.  All very nice.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only