[H-GEN] twisted net cable

Joel MICHAEL j.michael at uq.net.au
Wed Oct 20 07:01:13 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 staeci at yahoo.com wrote:

> Been making up utp cable (machine to hub) which is easy but could anyone
> tell me how to makeup a 'twisted' cable for peer to peer?

1.  make up one end as you normally would
2.  when making up the other end, swap the transmit and receive wires over
(put the orange/white-orange pair where the green/white-green pair went on
the normal end)

if the plug is held with the tab upright and if you were to plug it
into your mouth, the order should go like so:
normal end - wg, g, wo, b, wb, o, wbr, br
crossed end- wo, o, wg, b, wb, g, wbr, br

where
wg = white-green
g  = green
wo = white-orange
o  = orange
wb = white-blue
b  = blue
wbr= white-brown
br = brown

there's an excellent site with lots and lots of connectors and stuff like
this, but i can't remember the URL offhand.  a search for "hardware book"
should yield results :)

> Oh and is twisted the right term for it?

personally, i've never used this term for it - normally i use "crossover"
as the transmit and receive wires are "crossed over"

<snip>

Joel Michael
insert funny .sig here :)