[H-GEN] HDD problems

Daniel Quinlan daniel at netwise.net.au
Tue Oct 19 18:18:09 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 11:42:28PM +1000, Harry Phillips wrote:
> hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> ide0: reset: success
>
> Does anyone know what this means and how to get rid of it?

from memory this means the kernel IDE driver is attempting to use DMA and
something (BIOS, chipset, HDD, kernel) doesn't support it properly

> Is a kernel recompile in order? If so what options to I have to include?

you could, there is a kernel option (not sure what version) something like
'Try DMA first' you can turn off

my laptop has a UDMA hdd and a chipset that supports UDMA, however the BIOS
only supports PIO.....so i get the above message.

of course I could be completely wrong =)

regards,
Daniel Quinlan				daniel at netwise.net.au
Netwise Australia			ph: 0417 677 377
"Engineering Network Solutions"		fax: 07 3216 0226