[H-GEN] lost the plot... most likely

Steven McIntyre stev at fox.uq.net.au
Mon Oct 18 02:07:00 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> > [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
> > Unix-related topics. ]
> Now would be a good time for a real life anecdotal storey about the perils
> of using public IP numbers as your internal subnet, and then finding that
> you want to retrieve software from an organisation using those same
> numbers.
  We had an incident a few weeks ago where a machine in NZ wasn't
accessible via one ISP from here.  A few traceroutes later, we find
192.168.x.x showing up somewhere, totally screwing that up.
  Our connectivity wasn't restored for nearly a day - and I was not
particularly impressed either...

  Steven McIntyre
  stev at uq.net.au
  3rd Year Info. Tech, QUT (Gardens Point) - Brisbane, Australia