[H-GEN] AGP video cards under X (fwd)

KRISTY FERRARI k.ferrari at student.qut.edu.au
Sun Oct 17 06:38:20 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

When I recently purchased my new computer, I also bought an AGP card, mine
however was an S3 trio3d/2x card. As of yet, I am yet to be able to run
X with anything but the VGA16 server, even though I should be able to run
X using the S3V server, all that happens is I get a blank screen. As my
previous computer had an on board video card, for me to be able to get X
running I had to purchase a pci card, which is what I am currently using

When using the SVGA server it would take at least a minute for a keystroke
to register on screen, and the only way I was able to do anything was to
telnet to my box and kill X, this same thing happened with the S3 server,
the S3V server, that my card is meant to run happily with, produces
nothing but a blank screen, and this is when I am running all the latest
of all servers. There is no problem with the card, as it runs perfectly
under windows(dare I mention that blasphemous word in a humbug post ;p)
with really cool graphics

As to why this happens, I'm not technically minded enough to know, I can
only give you a description of what happens

Kristy

Miss Kristy Ferrari
ITSociety Women's Officer
B App Sc(maths)/ B IT(computer science)