[H-GEN] Telstra Bigpond Cable

Daehenoc g.vickers at student.qut.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 21:57:07 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Byron Ellacott wrote:

> Regardless, avoid BPC.
>
> 1) The cost.

We're splitting the cost 4 ways, so it's not too bad...

I downloaded the Java SDK (20 Mb) last night @ 12 Kb/sec...

> 3) Stupid firewall rules (can't reach hosts on the same exchange as you; ALL
> udp traffic is blocked; etc)

Doh!

> 4) The Win9x software is dodgy anyway; it won't install if you have two
> network cards, etc
> 5) The cost.

I'm a bit cranky about the lack of a perm IP, but what the hey...

> Wait for Optus cable -- even if it isn't better, it'll provide competition.
> And I seriously doubt it could be worse.  Telstra are still trying to force
> ISDN on everyone, and are dragging their heels for good cable and DSL.

Amen...

Greg Vickers
ICQ # 51933450

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." - Ghandi.