[H-GEN] /sbin/install & /sbin/loader

Anthony Ison anthony.ison at gbst.com
Tue Nov 16 20:47:07 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> I then get a message that says something to the effect that the install
> has
> failed with error code 7.

The problem was actually an exit with signal code 7 - which happens to be
SIGBUS, a bus error.  That's probably bad.

I am still having huge problems installing, so please, please, please give
any suggestions that come to mind.

I am attempting to perform an FTP installation of RedHat 6.1.  I now have a
6.1 CD, but cannot use that with a transplanted cdrom, due to the SIGBUS
error above.  I am able to mount the cdrom on another box, to allow an FTP
install though.  The FTP install fails when it tries to retrieve the second
stage install ramdisk.  I do not know how to monitor network transfers, so I
am having a lot of trouble locating the problem.  I can used netstat (which
only shows the queue to send) and I have been looking at /proc/net/dev.  Are
there any programs that could help here?

I have managed to install RH 5.0, so I can actually use the machine.
Attempting to FTP comes up with the 'Connected to blah.' message, then takes
approx 2 minutes to request a username.  Connecting to the box via FTP does
the same.  Using lynx to connect works immediately in both directions.

The machine is a P60, 8 meg ram, 540 hdd, proteon ISA network card.  The
motherboard is EISA, and I am getting some funky EISA slot 0 error (CRC?)
when I boot that tells me to run EISA Configuration Utility.  I have no idea
what that is, and cannot find a copy on the net.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Anthony