[H-GEN] ppp problems under debian (slink)

Patrick Nichols pat at humbug.org.au
Mon Nov 15 18:57:48 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> apart, which means writing to /dev/modem has failed.  This could be a
> broken lock, a faulty DSR/DCD line (as mentioned earlier), the earlier
> pppd somehow not fully exiting yet removing its lockfile..
>
> I can't think why, specifically, but the problem is with writing (or
> possibly opening - check permissions?) to /dev/modem, or the appropriate
> device.

OK, I've done a little further investigation.

-After dialing in the first time, there are no stale locks in /var/lock.
-pppd isn't running after the first dialin ie. it exits properly (checked
with ps)
-I've changed modem cables to a spare I had here, this made no difference.
The computer hasn't been moved or tripped over.
-I've tried starting minicom to do some AT commands (after the first
dialin), but it crashed and spat garbage on the terminal when trying to
initalise the modem, requiring a "cat /bin/ls" to fix it.
-I tried using minicom to recreate the problem, but I can dial in and hang
up as many times as I like if I just use a terminal

It seems that Byron is correct.  It isn't permissions because I run both
minicom, and "pon uq" as root with sudo.  So it would seem that the problem
is with /dev/ttyS0, and opening or writing, or pppd does something funky
when it closes the port.

Any more suggestions.  Next thing I can think of it changing the port to
/dev/ttyS1, maybe the actual com port has gone in the computer (P100).
However if this were the case, why would it work perfectly on the first use
after boot?
Could it be a corrupt file (a binary)?

-pat