[H-GEN] ppp problems under debian (slink)

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Mon Nov 15 01:20:25 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, allen grace wrote:

> > Nov 15 15:24:12 dyno chat[412]: send (ATZ^M)
> > Nov 15 15:24:12 dyno pppd[411]: Connect script failed
> Try turning up the level of debugging so that we can see some of the LCP
> and PAP messages (assuming that's what's being used).

while that's generally useful advice for fixing PPP problems, the log
above indicates that LCP and PAP messages won't be generated; the "send
(ATZ^M)" and the "Connect script failed" messages are less than one second
apart, which means writing to /dev/modem has failed.  This could be a
broken lock, a faulty DSR/DCD line (as mentioned earlier), the earlier
pppd somehow not fully exiting yet removing its lockfile..

I can't think why, specifically, but the problem is with writing (or
possibly opening - check permissions?) to /dev/modem, or the appropriate
device.

--
bje